Monday, September 12, 2011

Colorful Asian Slaw with Warm Ginger-Lime Dressing

6 Servings, from Vegetarian Times

4 c. thinly sliced red cabbage
3 c. thinly sliced cabbage (recipe called for savoy, but I didn't have any)
2 medium carrots-peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
1 large Granny Smith apple-cut into match sticks
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3 T soy sauce
2 T olive oil
2 T lime juice
2 T. brown sugar (I only used 1-I can't read I guess..oops)
1 large red onion-thinly sliced
1 T. and 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
1/4 c. roasted peanuts

1. Combine cabbage, carrots, and apples in a large bowl.  Sprinkle with kosher salt.  Whist together soy sauce, lime juice, 2 T water and brown sugar in small bowl.
2. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion and salt and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, or until onions are browned and bottom of pan has brown bits.  Add ginger and cook 30 sec. Add soy sauce mixture to deglaze and cook 15-25 sec, using a spatula or spoon to scrap up brown bits.  Remove from heat and spread onions over cabbage mixture.  Toss with tongs until slaw is well combined and cabbage begins to wilt (mine never really did).
3. Add 1/4 c. cilantro leaves and toss to combine.  Let stand 5 minutes, then serve garnished with 1/4 c cilantro and peanuts.

1 cup serving-111 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment